Abby woke up screaming in the middle of the night. I went in to check on her, and Isaac started to cry. I went to get them some milk, since Abby had asked for milk and it's really a comfort thing for them. They, of course, sat behind the closed door, on the floor, screaming at the top of their lungs while I disappeared to the kitchen to fulfill her request. When I got back with the milk, I noticed that the floor where Isaac had been laying was REALLY hot for the amount of time he had been laying there and I had been gone. I felt his head and . . . sure enough . . . fever! Dave got him some medicine, we tried to get them calmed down, I sang to them for a while, and then Isaac fell asleep for the night. Abby, however, had a harder time of it. Makes me wonder if she isn't sick as well. Then she wet through her diaper and clothes and woke up at 4:30 this morning. Bless Dave's heart -- he took care of it all for me. Not that I wasn't awake during all of it, but at least I didn't have to get UP and be even MORE awake. Then Isaac woke up screaming again at 6:30 -- fever of 101.4. I gave him Tylenol, he threw up, and he has wanted to be held but not quite able to get comfortable all day long.
Anyway, in the midst of this, when he first got up after his nap this afternoon, I told Abby that he was sick and she needed to leave him alone today. The following is what I heard from the kitchen as I rinsed out the syringe from giving him medicine.
Abby: Isaac -- are you sick?
Isaac: (Groan) -- Uh huh; yeah.
Abby: Need a pillow? Isaac? Pillow?
Isaac: (Starts to cry because he is NOT in the mood to be touched by ANYONE right now, and I just assume from my position in the kitchen that Abby is trying to touch him or climb up and sit next to him or whatever else I had asked her not to do when I explained that Isaac was very sick).
Abby: (Apparently does not stop because Isaac continues crying, or at least that's what I think from the other room.)
Enter Mommy, stage left. I come in to save Isaac from Abby, ready to tell her firmly to leave him alone -- again -- because he is really sick. What do I see? Abby looking anxiously at Isaac, his pillow from his bed in her hand, trying really hard to lift it up with one hand while trying to simultaneously lift up Isaac's head with the other. All the while saying, "Pillow? Isaac? Pillow?"
A humbled Mommy takes the pillow and gently puts it under Isaac's head, thanking Abby for being so thoughtful and getting it for him. They really are mindful of each other in ways I forget they are capable of sometimes. And that little Abby is a mother! A tender-hearted and sometimes very moody, but always very thoughtful little mother!
8 years ago


5 comments:
I hope Isaac gets feeling better! And in regards to your previous entry...don't we ALL need a time out?! I hope you get yours soon :)
Oh Melinda, they are so cute. Both in appearance and personality. What a sweetheart Abby is looking out for her brother.
Oh, so sweet. I can't wait to see you so VERY soon! I love to read updates, even if you've already told me, it's still so cute to read it and internalize the cuteness one more time.
"A tender-hearted and sometimes very moody, but always very thoughtful little mother!" I know a lot of mothers that this can be said about who are a lot older. Marie is becoming that way, too. Whenever I'm getting things for Nate when he's sick she has to run over and grab something to bring to him. Or she has to help me get him dressed in the morning (she MUST pick out something!). Isn't it wonderful (not just great, but truly "full of wonder") to watch them serve each other? It helps the older mothers be not as moody...for a little while at least ;)
Already putting his hands on the lady's legs huh?;) Really cute pic.
Those are some sweet kids you got.
Post a Comment